DIY:: Disney Costumes {Mary Poppins and Bert} {Lilo and Stitch}


There are several things I LOVE in this world and today I am going to share two.

1........... dressing up

2............. all things Disney


I absolutely love dressing up.... I don't know why it is, but being able to transform into someone else for a night is so much fun for me!This year has by far been my favorite outfits yet!

Lately I have been so extremely busy with working full time and going to school full time that I didn't have much time to fully make my costume as I have been able to in the past.  However I am extremely pleased with how well my costumes turned out thanks to frequenting Saver's!

Well, it is now November 1st which means we made it through another Halloween! I hope you all had a supercalifradulisticexpialidocious holiday with your ohana as I did mine.

Enjoy!
.
.
.
.
.



 MARY POPPINS AND BURT COSTUMES PROPS:

______________________
Parrot Umbrella:

Materials Needed:
*Black Umbrella (cane handle or straight handle... I used a cane handle)
*Tin foil
*Paper towels or news paper
*Flour, water, and bowl
*Paint (black, white, green, blue, yellow)
*Paint brushes
*Mod Podge (I used matte)

How To:

Step 1:
Cover handle in tin foil molding it into a bird head.

Step 2:
Mix flour and water in a bowl to form a liquid paste (paper mache)

Step 3:
Dip paper towel/newspaper into paper mache paste and cover tinfoil. Let dry over night.

Step 4:
Paint parrot head. Let dry.

Step 5:
Cover in a layer of mod podge. Let dry.

______________________
Hat:

Step 1:
Find a hat that is the right size and similar shape, we will modify the top to be flat later.

Step 2:
Remove anything that may be on the hat and paint/spray paint black (if it isn't black already).  Also push the top of the hat in to make it flat and let it dry.

Step 3:
Using flowers and Christmas ornaments purchased from the dollar store glue them on using a hot glue gun.

______________________


Chimney Sweep:
 Materials Needed:
*Broom (get it from the dollar store)
*Black pole/stick (we used Rob's Lacrosse stick, but you could just use the broom stick)
*Black Spray Paint
*1/2 Circle Styrofoam 
*Hot Glue Gun

How To:

Step 1:
Pull out bristles from broom 


Step 2:
Straighten bristles (they will be folded in half).

Step 3:
Insert bristles into your foam and secure with hot glue.

Step 4:
Insert pole into bottom of foam and spray paint everything and let dry.



============================================================

LILO & STITCH COSTUMES


 LILO Materials Needed:
*Red Dress (I found mine at savers- and actually took it in a foot!) BUT If you want to make one, buy red fabric and use this tutorial to sew it!
*White Felt
*Scissors
*Marker
*Sewing Machine or Glue (fabric or hot glue works best)
*Ben Nye Stage make up for that Hawaiian bronzed skin found here.
*Brown contacts (If you don't have brown eyes) I got mine here.
*Flower (using this template, cut out your flowers from your felt fabric and sew/glue onto your dress.)
______________________
STITCH:


HOW TO DYE YOUR DOG
STITCH Materials Needed:

*Manic Panic Rockability Blue Hair Dye found here. Follow directions on bottle
*Towell (dye will stain anything it touches so don't use a good one!)
*Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
*Garbage Bag
*Gloves

 ============================================================




5 comments:

  1. Great costumes! Your dog is such a sport ;)
    Thank you for posting this, I will be using the chimney sweep broom tutorial for a friends Burt costume. Your directions are so clear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...totally inspired by your parrot umbrella. I actually made it. It doesn't look as good as yours since I never worked with paper mache and had no clue as to how to begin, but just by looking at the picture and checking some video's, I was able to make something similar. Thanks for sharing. Now my costume is complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...totally inspired by your parrot umbrella. I actually made it. It doesn't look as good as yours since I never worked with paper mache and had no clue as to how to begin, but just by looking at the picture and checking some video's, I was able to make something similar. Thanks for sharing. Now my costume is complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing job! What kind of paint did you use? Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. could I pay you to make a youth size parrot umbrella for me

    ReplyDelete